After doing a pretty poor job putting transfers on my dreadnought a few of you suggested I use gloss varnish along with microsol and microset. You were right! I did not have gloss varnish, but I used GW 'ardcoat, followed by microset on the shoulder, followed by microsol on the transfer. I could not be more pleased! The transfer has none of the weird air bubble discoloration that the dread had. I should have been using gloss varnish a long time ago! The only downside is that I had to use testors dull coat, which after a mishap a while back has left me fully in the camp of those who do not varnish models at all!
I should listen to other people's advice more often!