Saturday, November 25, 2017

Drop Pod Rehab: From Junk to Ok







I wanted to jump back into painting my Primaris marines, but decided to paint a test model to get back into the flow of things. For years a salvaged Blood Angels drop pod has been collecting dust, so I scooped it up, tore it down, and repainted it. The process worked well until the enamel phase, where things just went wrong. My ultra smooth blends on the interior were lost, and a lot of enamel chalked up on the model. However, I plowed on through, and in the end I think this is a pretty good outcome for a model I was planning on tossing in the garbage. Unfortunately, the color is completely off. It looks nothing like my newest Ultramarines. I have no idea what I did wrong, except use the wrong recipe. Too bad I didn't write down the colors I used on my newest Ultras. Fortunately, I think the paints I originally used are still on my desk, so all I have to do is paint up some more test pieces using all the available blues and hopefully I'll stumble on the recipe. I think the pod is done though. It accomplished its' purpose, buy saving the model I really want to paint from suffering the same wrong hue.

5 comments:

  1. Heck of a recovery job nonetheless - It's a great looking pod! I'm terrible about writing down my recipes as well, doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good anyway and maybe it's an older model that has seen more service hence the different color...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paint out of the pot. Always good until they discontinue your colour....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pale interior, I think it's easy to forget how effective that can look in the grimdark 41st Millenium. Certainly for a drop pod there's always that surprise factor when you deploy the doors ramps and its 'ooh, look how the inside is completely unexpected'

    ReplyDelete