Saturday, July 25, 2015

Death Korps of Kreig Test Mini #2







I appreciate all the comments on the last test miniature. I tried to push colors just a bit more with this guy, while keeping the overall model gritty and worn. I am particularly pleased with the model's pants. The coat is a little brushy, but I am trying to keep the painting time reasonable for these guys. I am lucky to have a horde of them. One thing missing from the model is the platoon number that goes on one of the dented metal shoulder guards. I'm keeping decals off of these until I lock in a paint scheme. Weirdly enough, this guy looks right at home next to the previous miniature. It had me thinking about painting up the models all slightly different shades of green and blue in order to show a battle worn force. I'm not sure how that would score paint-wise, but it could look pretty cool.

In terms of basing, I am thinking about using rendra bases instead of GW bases. I've come to like the lower profile of the flatter bases for my bolt action armies and think my GW forces need them as well. Flatter bases make the model look more integrated into the battlefield, rather than walking on a pillar.

This model has one of the gun arms that I mangled. The gun is simply covered in super glue, hence the weathering powders on it to cover up the lack of remaining detail.

8 comments:

  1. That is a super nice take on them AND i wouldn't worry too much about the coat as it would fade and wear unevenly anyway in that kind of environment. Also pigments, can blend anything maybe mix some SW stormcloud grey wash with your pigment and mush it around areas of wear to hide crappy brush strokes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zab. Stormcloud is a fantastic wash. The armor wash and it are the my favorite washes right now on my painting desk. I was trying not to use it on the coat, and focus instead on blending, but it might produce better results. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slightly different colours, wear, fading, materiel and so on are all par for the course. I think your man looks great and It'll be nice to see a whole load of them.

    One thing that does look a bit weird is the lack of equipment, even on the melta gunner. These guys should look as if their are carrying enough stuff for a war (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about the equipment. It is separate right now so it can be painted individually. Once they have sleeping rolls, bread bags, gas mask canisters, and entrenching tools then I think they will look the part.

      Delete
  4. Excellent color scheme. An improvement over the first one, IMO, because the lighter, cooler color for the coat and clothing give better contrast for the helmet, shoulder-pads, straps, gun, and equipment. I still say take a quick dry-brush to the gun, to get some edging on it. The helmet already shows how edge highlighting helps distinguish the element from the rest of the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was teetering on going with the first scheme. All of the comments kept me pushing forward. The clock is ticking for me to paint 100 of these guys plus horses and artillery. I'll give dry brushing a try on the weapon. I'll need to pick up a smaller brush for that. Almost got 9 more of them done.

      dry brush
      gloss coat on eye sockets

      two things I should not forget.

      Delete
    2. When you do the gloss coat on the eyes tint it with some green ink or wash and you will get a nice sheen to it that looks like very very very dark green glass.

      Delete