So after hours and hours of sanding, waiting for liquid green stuff to dry, and then more sanding, I just decided to prime the model to see how it would look. As this is just a proof of concept, I am ok with the irregular construction. I hadn't planned this to be a practice run, but hey, that's how things work out sometimes. I've learned quite a bit during the construction.
- I need to find a better way to cut out patterns. It was incredibly difficult to get anything to come out properly. I am quite pleased that the tank fit together at all.
- Don't use sanding to get parts to fit. If cut properly they should fit the first time.
- Don't rush ahead and put on rivets before all the sanding is done.
- Use as little glue on rivets as possible. Any pooling at all will mess up the integrity of the design.
- Measure rivet locations just as precisely as cutting the plastic.
- Casting links is incredibly boring, and despite being able to pressure case, I find myself just letting bad casts through. I think on this model it will look ok since I can just mud up the tracks.
- Pressure cast. My pressure casts are near perfect now. It just takes longer.
- Add more plates to the body overall, and use something as a spacer.
- Make just a turret next time.
- There are always 10 bullets.
I wish I had made more progress, since this tank is meant to serve as the base for a test paint job, but a friends 30th birthday got in the way, along with the resulting two day hangover!