Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Valkyrie Refurbish WIP 3











I've been having so much fun repainting old GW models, that even though the Valk is a few stages away from completion, that I want to move on to the next refurbishment project. I added some heat treatment to the engines, but forgot to add red! I suppose I should be able to ghost in a little bit of it later, but that is the last glaring thing besides the lack of gunners and pilots. Good news on that front though, after Zzzzzz generously offered some replacements I decided to do more scrounging. I found the bits, along with my next refurbishment project in a box of half built Imperial Guard bits. I imagine it is getting old, me just posting repaints done right on top of existing paint schemes, but to me it feels like a pallet cleanser. I almost want to break out my Tallarn and paint them up to go with these aircraft.

A couple of things have contributed to this project being stress reducing and fun. First was deciding to use as few colors as possible. The second has been the feedback on the old models. It is really cool seeing what other people think about these refurbishment projects. There is something really satisfying taking a model that couldn't make it on eBay, and turning it into something a person might actually want.

One thin that hasn't been apparent on the blog has been my experiments with new air brushes during this work. I have been using Grex air brushes for years, but I recently discovered tamiya pistol grip air brushes as well as half a dozen no-name inexpensive chinese brands. I've been using these refurb models to familiarize myself with the new brushes prior to starting the Thunderhawk.

Also, did I mention that I found a box full of squats? No? Well I did, and they are glorious! My squats were apparently in service to the Imperial Guard, and are painted like the original plastic squat box art.  

14 comments:

  1. =][= These "Squats" you speak of do not exist - and never did. =][=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job there, nice weathering. Okay, I don't dig the red intakes but that's just me :) To me they scream "shoot the most vital bits, here, painted red for you", lol. Squats you say, yes! I'd love to see those refurbished to fit your scheme, now obviously referred to as Abhumans.... squats never existed as the Commissar Zak rightly points out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fresh off the factory floor, very nice and clean painting.

    I wish to hear more of these Squats...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what Commissar Zab is suggesting(do commissars suggest?), but Squats have been a vital part of the Imperium for thousands of years. Some of our most popular reality shows are those depicting Squats building custom trikes. If it were not for the squats our favorite house pets the 'nids would go unfed. When you really think about it, the imperium is really all about Squats. We should ask the large blue fellow who just woke up. I bet knows about them. :)

      Delete
  4. I never get tired of seeing your lovely vehicles John! They are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! Some day we are going to have to get an IG v Orks game in so you can destroy them as well.

      I have really high hopes for the re-birth of 40k in the new edition. That is fueling a lot of this.

      Delete
    2. Mean while I paint the deathguard every night, while the orks whisper the sounds of a distance waaaaagh. If GW moves the ork narrative forward, its going to be amazing. Ghazkull was basically teleporting around the galaxy starting worlds with endless wars on them, so the orks could fight forever...and constantly get stronger and bigger..

      Delete
  5. Squats ? I've never heard of 'em. Arn't they a form of exercise ?

    btw, a post about your vast airbrush collection might be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might prove hard to do fairly to the manufacturers. I piled up about a dozen air brushes and just used them one by one until I was satisfied with low pressure accuracy. It did show me that my Grex air brushes were in really bad repair.

      Delete
    2. I find I need to replace the grex needles a few times a year, and lube the needles, as well as use food safe lube on the screw threads to seal it properly.

      Delete
  6. Looking awesome John.. I like the engines a lot. I always want to add more colors on mine but they end up looking wonky for me. The red really looks good. Uh oh .. Squats 8)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete