Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Death Korps Lightening WIP 2






*EDIT additional photos added with better natural lighting.






I had intended this model to be a display piece, but an unfortunate incident with Model Master Semi-Gloss lacquer ended that option. Once on the model, lacquer normally forms a protective barrier to allow enamel pin washes and oil work. This lacquer bonded with the enamels and made is exceedingly difficult to remove the excess. I literally scrubbed the model with towels, and stippling brushes to remove as much as I could. In doing so I rubbed off layers of paint, and imparted fingerprints into the model. Lesson learned. Model Master paints are garbage. I won't touch them with a ten foot poll.

So where do I go from here? I'd like to make the model more presentable, so I'm going to have to weather more than I had originally intended. I'll use aluminum colored paint chipping to distract from tide lines. I intend to overspray some of the original yellow to tone down those areas and clean them up a bit. Finally, I'll add smoke streaking to the kit. That will add visual interest and hide some of the fingerprints in harder to touch up places. I love the model, but I don't think I want to strip it and start over. I expected an easier finish to this kit, and have been getting ready for my next challenge.

8 comments:

  1. John, don't do yourself an injustice, this is still a flipping great job you've done. Love the bold yellow nose, WW2 schemes really fit the DKK vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. I just had my expectations really high after the first shading went down. The cavalcade of problems got to me after a while. I still like the model. I think I'm going to have to do another one. I have a vendetta that I never painted. I might be a good choice for one of those squiggly green S designs.

      Delete
  2. Model looks great in the photos John. I can see where the bonding would screw it up for competition though. She's still a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shots of the bottom show it off really well. The enamel just stuck on like it was glued. I ended up rubbing off paint. Once I got through the top layer the white spirit started dissolving the under layers and spread them around. Some days things go a little crazy!

      Delete
    2. If it had only chipped up the underlayers, you'd have been in business!

      Delete
  3. Yep, still looks good (although I appreciate you will only ever be able to see the finger prints - hey at least you can prove it's yours !).

    Thanks for the wider shots of the complete airframe - one from below as well now, please (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. I just uploaded four more that show the model. My DKoK are in the background as are some Sons of Horus and Ultramarines.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant! I always thought the grey/blue underside is such a great look - loving the camo and yellow on the nose, awesome contrast!

    ReplyDelete