Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Ogre Bust





A friend mentioned that IMPS Richmond was coming up, and that it was only two hours away from DC, so it seems like I might be going to the show this Saturday. I hate to go to a show without a model to share, so some quick work on the Roman Lappat Ogre and I think he is presentable now. This paint style will likely be the recipe I use for my Ogre Kingdoms army for Age of Sigmar. The weakest part of the model is probably the hair, though the base is pretty bas as well. I didn't have a plinth to put him on, so I chopped a chuck off of a wooden ruler and painted it black. Hopefully that works!

Anyone else going to the IMPS Richmond show this Saturday? Anyone have a critique they'd like to share? I would like to touch up major flaws before this weekend.

7 comments:

  1. He's very flat have you given an thought to maybe adding some satin or gloss varnish in areas? like the leather could have some satin and maybe his lip too? On the larger scales contrast can be achieved with texture or finish too, not just values :) I understand your hesitation if you don't want o mess with the PJ right be fore a contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent suggestion. The finish did not pick up very well on the photos. He has a yellow tinted gloss beneath his nose, and satin on his lips and teeth. His eyes are also satin, along with the leather. I may need better photos as I was struggling to get these to work. I suppose I could move the lips and teeth to gloss along with the eyes.

      Delete
    2. added another photo to emphasis the various finishes on the model. I did a little color correction as well to make it more true to the finished piece.

      Delete
    3. Yeah i think it's looking good the way it is now that i see those finishes :)

      Delete
  2. He looks great John. You should bring many of these busts (even if you don't enter them into comp) to nova this year. I'm sure many of us would love to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring this guy. Likely there will be more work done after Richmond. The base is not very good, and the hair could use some work... I'm thinking about using brush bristles as eyebrows and mohawk hair. I think that could look really cool.

      Delete
  3. Looking good man.. good luck down there. I keep looking at the busts but then I'm like damn I'm painting all these models haha

    ReplyDelete