Thursday, February 16, 2017

Narrative 30K








Our second narrative 30k game took place last night over some nice martinis. One of the stand out things to me was that playing 30K made me want the tactical decisions available in Bolt Action. As the defender in this game I was able to deploy my forces secretly, and only reveal them as Eric's Raven Guard scouted onto the table. His objective was the comms relay station that I had just painted the night before. After our first game, in Arnhem 30k, the raven guard were abandoned on planet and had to scrounge for vehicles. The relay point was supposed to help them contact their fleet at best, or other stranded Raven Guard at worst. Despite great scouting,  and the ensuing overrunning of the Sons of Horus garrison force, the Raven Guard were unable to capture the communications relay. However, they were able to enact their revenge on the garrisoned force just up until the point the Warhound titan arrived to clean up. At this point the Raven Guard abandoned what remained of their vehicles and escaped down a hatch into the unknown. Land Speeders provided a rear guard action, nearly taking the Titan out.

This means, Zone Mortalis is next!

8 comments:

  1. This is a really intriguing way to run a series of 30k games, and looks really beautiful as well! I am thinking of making my own ZM board, do you have any tips? Lots of open areas or corridors? Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never run or played ZM, so I can't say. As I figure it out, I'll share what a learn with you.

      Delete
  2. Love the battlefield! I like the weird juxtaposition of 30k forces in Normandy bocage. It makes me imagine giant war machines striding through the Cornish countryside I grew up in. As for 30k Bolt Action, I have half a mind to create a Beyond the Gates of Antares conversion for 40k to accommodate such challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a very civilised way to play. Shame about the relay, but well done with the speeder action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its strange that we always think of marine fighting in ruins and half destroyed cities, I like the change in scenery, and just a plausible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic - Love the narrative 30k way, and it's simply stunning on your table. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, looks brilliant fun. No ruins in sight, Normandy 2.0 redux.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I wish I lived closer. That would be so much fun to play!

    ReplyDelete