Sunday, October 18, 2009
Dead Grass Basing
I have been using ruined city scape basing for a few armies now, but decided that I should do some experiments to see if I could get another couple of basing styles down. I decided to go for a rocky desert with dead and dried plants. I started the usual way, with rocks and sand, and a few bits from the bits box, and then tested out my new bootstrap leather P3 paint. The moment I dipped my brush in the paint I knew I liked it. It has a very fine consistency and is very smooth. After over-brushing the brown onto the base I dry brushed some foundation yellow followed by bleached bone. It was at this point that I mixed 50/50 water elmers glue and gave some gale force 9 static grass a try. It turned out ok, but lacking any way to easily create a magnetic field, I had to deal with having clumps of grass. Seeing as how I can't stop when I am ahead, I added some forge world rust and dirt pigments to the base. When I sprayed on the dull coat the pigment radically changed what it looked like, and produced what you see in the final photo. These bases are not bad, and can be produce in mass quantities if needed, but they don't thrill me. I might try adding some snow and water effects to them.