Friday, October 23, 2015

Sons of Horus EPIC 40k




I am falling in love with Epic 40k. The game died years ago, but somehow a whole community has grown up supporting it. After reading one of the two free rulesets, I was struck by how similar Epic 40k is to Bolt Action. The basic idea of suppressing instead of killing works very similarly in both systems. In Bolt Action it is part of the pin marker mechanic. In Epic 40K it is the blast marker mechanic.

So with rules I like, the question was whether I could paint up some old epic models and make them look cool enough to enjoy a game. The models here are bad casts, so I did not feel particularly bad about laying down a quick test paint scheme. I like it. These guys are 6mm analogs to my 28mm Sons force. This is exciting as I have some FW resin Thunderhawks coming in, as well as some warhound titans. We should be able to get a good 4 legion game together in the near future.

NetEPIC one of the two rulesets.  A direct link to rules here.

EpicAU  great resources, especially for Epic Heresy

Army Builder For Epic 30K

Army Builder For Epic 40K





6 comments:

  1. When are we going to play? Epic was my favorite 40K scale / game. I used to have a ton of models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sir have excellent taste! I won't have two forces ready for a while, but the moment I have armies ready I'll speed dial you. I picked up a lot of ruined buildings to go with the forces, so the table should look really good as well. What were your favorite armies?

      Delete
  2. I'll just leave this here: http://www.onslaughtmini.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lets just be honest...John is just zooming WAAAAAY out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice man.. it's cool seeing the final and you squeezed in some really nice blends into really small spots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd. I was surprised by how much control I had while painting these. If I put one of the rhinos (not pictured) next to a full size 28mm SoH rhino, it makes me wonder why I don't bother to shade my full size vehicles as adeptly.

      Delete