Monday, October 12, 2015

Loken WIP



The base coats are now done, and the fun can begin. In the photo above the model has already been sealed to protect it from oils. (the head is not glued on though) I like to paint a base coat on everything prior to varnishing even in the cases where additional layers are planned. Basically it lets me see more of a finished model before I add brown, black, and rust colored oil paint. The model won't last long in this mid-tone purgatory, so I thought it might be nice to upload a few photos of the before oil shots.

5 comments:

  1. Looking good! Love those green tones you do on your Sons of Horus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is looking fantastic, man! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, love the faces too, I fear painting faces, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have no fear. I paint the face a dark brown, and then airbrush a light flesh color from the top of the head. This provides instant highlighting. Then I go back with a brush and blend in lighter colors. The next step comes courtesy of the Massive Voodu painting class I took at the NOVA Open. I glaze the the top of the head with yellow, the ears/eyes/nose with red, and the lower jaw with blue. The glazes really bring the previous brush work to life.

      Delete
  4. I know this is an old projects - but do you recall what colors used for Lokens armor and what stages you go through during the AB process? I mean do you pre shade the armor etc. thanks lad!

    ReplyDelete