Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Old Chaos Versus New Chaos


I've had loads of boxes of Chaos miniatures sitting around for ages, so I figured it was time to grab some ancient bits and build myself a second squad for my budding Nurgle army. I tried to emulate the painting style I used on the new miniatures despite the old miniatures having bizarre areas of half realized detail and poor casting all around. I'm glad to have another squad because that means I am close to playing the game, but I wouldn't hold the dwarf squad out as an example of either inspired or good painting. Painting the old models puts the new ones in perspective. GW has finally mastered model making. The new kits are light years better than the old ones. At least with the dwarf squad I have some miniatures to test the basing with.

I was planning on painting the hell brute from the last starter set. How have those models aged? Are they still worth painting?


8 comments:

  1. I'm still painting the 6th ed box, the hellbrute will work well withe a little converting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scheme on your old chaos marines - can you remember how you painted them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a whole recipe soon. I have to do that so I can remember how the force gets painted.

      Delete
  3. I have 2x Dark Vengence Helbrute and one of the actually boxed ones and they look spectacular if you ask me. I have almost finished painting mine along with a Forge World Decimator. Here is a link to a WIP shot I took a week ago.

    http://thechaosmanifesto.blogspot.ca/2017/06/wip-it-wednesday-42-helbrute-tigers-and.html

    Next week I will have a shot up of them 90% finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dig the color theory combos you've got going, the orange and purple really set off well against the pale green. Good stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joel! This has been a lot of fun. I'm trying to paint loose and fast, but with some thought put in to the colors. I am really happy with the red/orange rust streaking on the armor. That sells it for me. I can't wait to do the rich brown muddy bases with yellowish pools of water and orange/red rusty barbed wire. At this rate I'll have a playable force soon.

      Delete
  5. The colours look great, as everyone says. "The Cleaved", I think ?

    As to old models and their relative value, it depends whether you want display or TT. Me, I'd still keep everything even if I could turn in a decent paint job - why wouldn't you ?

    ReplyDelete