Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Experiment: Making Mud



I experimented today making mud and rusty barbed wire bases for my Death Guard project. My first attempt included adding realistic water tinted yellow to all of the likely areas to have pooled water. That proved to be too busy, so I removed the water and stuck with varying browns and oranges. The edges aren't cleaned up, but I think when they are these will look pretty good. They contrast really nicely with the cool greens and purples already on the models. I'll base most of the models in place, rather than making the bases separately. However once I do that there is no turning back.

8 comments:

  1. Great base color to pop the figures! Mud is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color, but it is really hard to keep the edges clean of powder when I paint them. The pigment/plaster mix is also pretty brittle, which goes against my goals of making this my portable army. I think I'm going to proceed though.

      Delete
  2. Nice man .. when I looked quickly at the picture I thought it was intestines .. the barren look suits the army nicely..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the rest of the barbed wire differently. The pigments went on way too thick on these samples.

      Delete
    2. when you hit it with sealer that pigments will get knocked waaay back so it may be the right amount :)

      Delete
    3. As in darken right? Or do you mean shrink? Anyways ... it looks good John!

      Delete
    4. Thanks guys. The models are all based now! I am close to finishing the unit of Pox Walkers. Then I can get these guys into a game.

      Delete
  3. Hi John, Super nice work! how did you make the barbwire?

    ReplyDelete