Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Original Rhino, Predator, And Vindicator Refurb : Before Shots




I haven't posted not because I haven't been working, or wanting to post, but because I bit off more than I can chew! Despite an accurate assessment from Ron, I couldn't resist dunking my old Iron Scythe armor in two tubs of simple green. Three rhinos, a predator, and a vindicator will be added to the pre-heresy heavy Ultramarines force I've always wanted(always is relative here...I am a collector after all!). I think these tanks will look spectacular next to a FW Proteus Land Raider, maybe a few bikes and a load of space marines ready kick ass and take names. It was really cool seeing a nice paint job on an old kit. I've had these since they were released, so these things have been lingering near my painting desk for a very long time.

Anyone know when this kit came out? Maybe it is the whole 25 years of 40k, but I am considering entering this new force in armies on parade instead of my minty Necrons. The neurons are certainly better painted, but nostalgia has its place as well.

4 comments:

  1. :-) Looking very much like my own armies... Pretty sure the Rhino (3 pack) was 1988, the Predator a few years later... Vindicator a few years later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you could at one time buy a set of three rhinos for something like £12!!! Oh how times have changed! These things look awesome, they might be smaller than the new variant... but they are still perfectly formed! I've always particularly liked the predator turret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing how these turn out. I have a full set of old rhinos/predators myself. I can't bring myself to spend $200+ on new ones when I have these old ones sitting around.

    Do you plan any conversion work to 'bulk' them up? Either way, can't wait to see how they turn out. Maybe you'll inspire me to work on my old vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had bought the land raider 3 pack as well! In these shots you can see the first phase of removing conversions that I had added over the last ~18 years. My plan is to get them as close to original as possible, and then add search lights, missile launchers, and a lot of stowage. I have some FW Ultramarine icons that I may add as well.

    ReplyDelete