Saturday, August 22, 2015

Death Korps Full Army With Display Board Mock Up







With the aegis line and quad gun done, it is time to mock up what the display board could be. My original idea was to have a ruined european looking village in the background with the guns emplaced within it. However, with this many models, I think I am going to have to go with a less is more approach. One sharpe and a paper towel template later, and I am happy with the result. The board is bifurcated by a small stream down the center, with the Aegis line behind it, and soon to be build barbed wire sections in front of it. I plan to add two rusty metal bridges on each end of the stream. The front of the board hosts my assault and fast response groups.

My deployment plan is for the Hades drill and grenadier centaur to hold back, while the Death Riders sally forth under heavy artillery support. In the background my HQ unit will issues orders and operate the quad air defense gun. In the far back of the board, the Bombards will blast away at other player's tables. You read that right. I intend to fire those 60 foot range weapons at other player's tables. If one of my teammates calls in fire support I will fire at their opponent. If in a doubles game my team member happens to be outside my minimum range, and our opponents agree to a cessation of hostilities, then I will fire upon my own team if they are showing any signs of fleeing Earth.

The NOVA Open narrative event is mean to bring players together and provide story. My goal is to help players have a good time. As an evolving story, the narrative event has reach the point where the alien "Virtue" who had come to wipe humanity out, and the UN defense forces, have essentially fled Earth. Finding humanity more evolved than they had expected, and their own leaders more evil, the Virtue have fragmented. In a final act of evil, a Virtue battle cruiser was crashed into the earth, causing nuclear winter like effects. Victory is bitter for humanity. U.N. forces have largely abandoned earth and fled into deep space. It is in this context that our games will be played. My force, the Death Korps of Peoria Illinois, have steadfastly refused to abandon Earth. With gas masks and artillery all will be made right. The Death Korps are patient, and their guns have a very long reach.

17 comments:

  1. Oh that does look nice..loving the mix of all that artillery and a mass of cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am really happy with it. These guys are going to cause me to rearrange my display cabinets.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. It seems your main battle plan is: pummel them with artillery, then ride your horses over the survivors. Not a bad plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it. I wanted a WW1 feeling force. If I am lucky I'll get two rounds of firing in before my lines collapse. A huge weakness is outflanking and deep striking. My force will shatter like glass since my artillery is fixed.

      Delete
  3. The paint-job is stellar, but the supporting narrative is the icing on the cake. That's what makes it so suh-weet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be a great last stand! Can't wait to see you in two weeks.

      Delete
  4. I love the way you've fit your army into the narrative, stubbornly raining artillery down upon those Virtue as stubbornly unwilling (or unable) to leave a dead and doomed rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fight to the end. This is their birth world after all. The genetic heritage of humanity needs to be salvaged from the ashes of war. I can see command and control breaking down over time, and many of the guard becoming roaming bands of scavengers. These few still wear their uniforms and uphold military discipline. Eventually the will be seen as outcasts by the nomads. (This could be a fun thread to pull in gave eventually)

      Delete
  5. That is going to be fantastic, man - can't wait! Loving the army all ranked up as well, simply beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookin' great and liking the b/g for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, in case you're wondering about the slog I'm moving through...
    http://tauofwar.blogspot.com/2015/08/nova-prep-adeptus-mechanicus-dragoons.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful force. I hope the guy you are painting them for is playing in the narrative event. I really want to see them in person.

      Delete
    2. I'm very curious about it, too - iKnights aren't legal in any 40k events this year, sorta by coincidence (3 different sets of leads all made the same conclusion). I hope they're fielding those radical things Tim's working on regardless.

      Delete
  8. This looks beautiful! I love it so much. Death Korps of Peoria Illinois made me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are doing this John...i can't even keep up with your posts. Just blowing me away :)

    ReplyDelete