Monday, August 3, 2015

Death Korps Bases For The NOVA Open






I've made so much progress on the Death Korps, that it is time to work on some bases. I see this army as complementing my Sons of Horus force. That means I have to produce what feels like an unlimited number of cracked cement bases. Now I don't like retracing old ground, so I made enough bases to provide me with extras for a while.

The cement like plaster is Hydrolcal, which has been broken into chunks and glued to normal GW bases. After the slightly diluted(water) wood glue has set, I'll probably carve in some bullet holes, and  other details into the surfaces. Painting these is a snap. Base coat them black, and using an airbrush, paint them from dark to light grey at the edges. After that a quick run of Steel Legion Drab around the dirt looking areas finishes it up. Wash the bases with weathering powder, SWM Green Earth, and then go back and paint the edges of the bases black.

That seemed like such a quick and easy process until I realized I had about a 100 bases to paint. Too bad I can't do this while on the treadmill.  

13 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! I love how you mention how easy they are, then list like a dozen steps. I'm sure it's not hard, but it's fun to see how some hobbyists' definition of easy varies so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all coming together nicely! Batch painting at its finest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could try doing it on a treadmill...

    Interesting comment on the pairing up with SoH; pedants will be quoting dates at you for ever. But what with the warp and everything, anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wednesday...hmm..sounds like a reasonable timeframe to get the bases done. Not so much for the whole army!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the scale of such things. You're an ambitious man sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know seeing it primed black intimidates me somewhat as well. I can't even fit all of the bases on my painting desk. I might end up with a pile of bases and a lot of unfinished Krieg.

      Delete
  6. Wow...they already look great John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait! I want nova to be here and not to be here equally! I am SO behind! I don't know how you are doing this AND blogging at the same time!

      Delete
    2. This is a way to motivate me. I need to make huge progress every day if I am to get through this army and start on my painting competition pieces.

      Delete
    3. Well it's working I think :) Keep up the great work John!

      Delete
  7. Love the bases, they look awesome! I have to give this a go

    ReplyDelete