Thursday, April 16, 2015

US Paratroopers C-47 Skytrain For Bolt Action












After tidying up my US Paratrooper army, I decided to tackle the huge C-47 transport that will see them into battle. The skytrain does not provide anything rules-wise, but it does give the player controlling the airborne a model to hold over the table as the parachute markers are dropped (you can see the drop mechanic over on Steve's blog). I think it will also make a good piece of terrain for some games as well.

I tackled the model how I usually tackle things these days. I decided I wanted it painted and gave myself a day to do so. On a model this large that was a mistake. It was difficult to make sure I wasn't damaging the paint job as I was flying through the painting process. The plane was cumbersome to paint, and the decals were weird. They are some kind of not-decal that I hope to never come across again. They did not respond to micro-sol at all, and remained kind of rubbery.

The paratroopers are mostly done. They'll get some more vegetation added to the bases at some point, as well as shoulder patches and rank markings. I just have to figure out what ranks to apply to the models.

8 comments:

  1. You can really see your love for the narrative making that awesome plane model just for the game John! I almost want some videos of that :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our group has come to the conclusion that if we start a game right, with some fun mechanic, then the game defaults to a really fun experience. I'll see what I can do about video. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous work, as always. Some IPMS guys are going to be very jealous of that C-47, given that you spent just a couple days on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks best from 3 feet away, but I'll gladly take that complement! I can't wait for the group to get to use it in the game.

      Delete
    2. This is why I game in dimly-lit rooms. My models look absolutely fantastic in the dark...

      Delete
  3. Looking good. I see that Warlord is releasing some late war German grenadiers soon. I'm really looking forward to more airborne games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the C-47. I hate to point this out, but it appears that the "star and bar" on the left wing is upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What scale for the c-47? Which model kit did you use?

    ReplyDelete