Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Weathered Ultramarine Test Miniature





While waiting for the Heroes of Armageddon drawing to start I painted a quick heavily weathered ultramarine. I still haven't decided whether to go ultras or wolves, but seeing as how I just won an ebay auction for 25 marine bikes, and I just built 5 scout bikes, I might have to go ultras just to use the new loot!

I use test miniatures to try out techniques prior to batch painting. This guy start off as a cleanly shaded marine. A lot of little dabs with a sponge full of paint, followed by weathering powders and I had this result. I play to try out the ash wastes weathering powder on another ultra, since I am not sure the red rust of mars looks right.

I am still trying to come up with good colors for power swords, axes, and lightening claws. Since ultras are blue I do not want to use the same colors as on my BA. Purple or red are my current favorites.

10 comments:

  1. Looks pretty cool, I want to try those out sometime.

    I used green on my relic blade and I will on my power swords aswell, wen't with green because it's the colour of my chapters eyes and just made sense.

    I think for Ultras red would look kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Warflake said- red on the power weapons would look cool, and be a bit of a nod to old school...

    Nice weathering there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bases man and I love the weathering, you can come and play on my table and you'll fit right in!

    I reckon purple would be a good look for your power weapons as the ultras already have a bit of green in their colour schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the red dirt over blue armour. It gives it a very 'real' feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Redscorps you have fantastic blog. I totally see how dirty ultras would fit in on your table. Are you using weathering powders, and if so how to do seal them on to the model? When I sprayed dull coat it changed the appearance of the powders dramatically.

    I terms of improvements, I think I need to keep the upper 3/4 of the mini less weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks nice. I would try a light ochre/light dirt color or light grey/gravel dust weathering. I've found those colours complement the Ultramarines colour scheme quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the dirty and worn look of the ultra marine, usually they look to pristine. However, I agree with the assessment of keeping the red (or wish ever color) weathering to the lower parts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People will paint Ultramarines any old blue these days. The model looks fine, maybe too far with the brown stuff on the boots. When I was starting out Ultramarine Blue was a very specific color, now you see "Ultramarines" that are lighter all the way to dark like a Night Lord... Strange times...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Model and I love the way it ties into the base. I am going to disagree and say that I like the amount of weathering on the upper portion. But, I think the feet need just a bit more, there are a few spots that just look too clean like the left foot under the greave and the top of the right foot. But that aside, still a great mini. I am curious, is that mini sealed or unsealed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a unsealed mini. I do not know how to seal weathering powders yet.

    ReplyDelete