Sunday, November 15, 2009

Valhallan Part 3:Shading




I am having so much fun with these guys I had to do some shading. Basically I recovered each base coat with a very thin amount of the original color. The yellow-ish bags got slightly more treatment. I tried to paint on some folds that are not present on the actual minis. I would hate to have to paint 100 of these guys, but a squad of 10 is just right!

so I have to ask... what on earth is up with these guys' hands? They are huge! These hands are cantaloupe sized@

5 comments:

  1. you did a wonderful job. I am quite tired seeing valahallans in blue and really like this green/brown color scheme. Not sure about the chainsword, that should probably look a little more battered...or used.
    Great painting!
    Mike
    Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any suggestions on how to weather the chainsword? I was thinking about using the sponge effect that we use on vehicles, but wasn't sure it would look right on such a small piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. They're simple, but Oh-so nice.

    If I were to weather the chainswords I'd start by painting on scrapes in Chaos Black or Charadon Granite (the Granite would probably suit your scheme better) and then go back with Blotgun Metal, leaving a thin black line between the metal and red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just remember that chainsword is a brutal and beat up weapon that slashes through all kinds of bad stuff. For inspiration, find your nearest stump grinder and check out the back of the part where the tree goes in...
    Mike
    Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stump grinder? I live in a condo in washington DC! I don't even have access to the outside!

    I've been practicing scratches, and think that a light orange under chardon granite might be the way to go. On each of my tests I overdid the damage. This might make an interesting post. I could show off all of my weirdly weathered weapons!

    ReplyDelete