Sunday, November 1, 2009

Purity Seal Gone Wrong


I have based my Imperial Guard Vets and am not totally out of good bases. The base production line I setup a year ago probably spurred me on t paint more because I did not have to worry about the last finishing part of the model. There is one step that is not complete for these guys and a bunch of the blood angels I have recently done. Transfers. The thing about transfers is that they add so much visual look, but they require a matte coat of purity seal at the end, both to hold them on, and to remove the gloss finish they impart. My purity seal appears to leave a gloss coat. Last week I tried the new can out on one of my chimera's and I assumed it was the weathering powders that had interfered with the seal. However, having just sealed a batch of Plague Bringers. All this talk of Nurgle led me to order some from GW--the even arrived in two days! As you can see from the photo, the purity seal added a slight gloss to the miniatures, which ruins their appearance. Most of the shading is now lost. Should I just buy another can and try again? What is it that causes the seal to gloss up like this? Am I using too much purity seal? I might have to go on a purity seal hiatus, since everything I spray ends up frosted or shiny!

9 comments:

  1. I thought purity seal was always semi-glossy no matter what. Well at least every other spay varnish that says Satin is usually only partially Matt.

    Ever since GW stopped producing it's Matt Varnish a lot of people have been looking for other companies that produce pure Matt results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would explain a lot. When did this change happen. I may have just bought the new stuff thinking it was the old variety. This is horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Testors matte, glossy and superglossy for all my work. It works great.
    Mike
    Santa Cruz Warhammmer

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the second time I've heard about Purity Seal messing up someone's project. I use Krylon Matte Sealant, works great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about this. Check this out, it might help if you haven't already seen it:

    http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/09/varnishing-without-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think they are messed up yet. I just need to dull coat them so they return to what they looked like post painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purity Seal seems to ruin everything these days. Though in the right application frosting can be beneficial.

    I switched to Testors Dullcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah woah, yes Purity Seal has a bad rep for frosting, but it is a Satin Varnish, always has been, which is slightly glossy, not a Matt, thats the issue here if I understand correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll also add, purity seal is a satin varnish, not a matte varnish and so will impart a slight sheen to your models.
    If you want a matte coat, you'll either have to go over it with a dull-coat, or get another brand matte varnish

    ReplyDelete