After rushing out to GW Springfield to buy a load of new paints, I had to rush home and try them out on a test mini. Now I normally use an airbrush for most of my painting these days, so given that I would be only using a brush, and not really caring about the finished product, I decided to paint a Black Templar. Oddly enough, I am not entirely sure what the Black Templar color scheme really is outside of the white shoulder pads and black PA. In any case, the Templar-ish scheme allowed me to experiment with the base and layer whites, as well as the grayish-white dry paint. Additionally I used the red glaze on the shoulder pads. I went a little wild with edge highlights in order to learn how the paint would flow.
Some quick observations.
- White still does not paint that well, even though these whites are clear improvements. It is lumpy and chalky, but better than before. Space wolves grey is still my favorite white replacement.
- The layers stay wet longer and flow really well. this really helps blending and edge highlighting.
- I miss the old paints. I am a little lost with all these colors.
I'll experiment more with these tomorrow, or maybe I'll just paint with my old paints, who knows.
So I played around with the Space Wolf base color as well as the tutorial on painting them from the latest GW. The metallics cover well, but that is because they are really heavy. There are pluses and minuses to this. The older silver colored metallics work better for me. The colors are more consistent, and they clog much less detail. The new golds will have their uses, but they do not produce the kind of brilliant gold that previously was a stable for painting icons. I do like the darker space wolf color, but I will have to see how it goes through an airbrush before I can commit to using it.