Monday, August 15, 2016

Face





I started working on the bust's face this morning for a little bit of pre-gym fun. I had intended to just play around with some color using acrylics before re-painting the face using oils. However now I am undecided on whether or not to repaint the face at all. I think this is looking pretty good. I think my new plan might be to use oils as a transparent layer on top of this base coat. I may take a break from this and do some distressing of the black leather straps. I've been wanting to use a pink/coal/black mixture of paint for a while and this gives me the perfect opportunity to do it.

I am dreading two steps on this model now that it is starting to look finished. The whitewash on the helmet, and the snow and mud accumulation. The whitewash will be fun, but it is less controlled than I normally like. I think the helmet has a very realistic look right now, and whitewash will obscure it. The snow and mud are just going to be difficult. I plan to use Secret Weapon Miniatures crushed glass for the snow, and have yet to figure out how to apply it to the model. I'm not going for a wet look, but the look of fallen snow. That rules out using water effects as a binder. Since glass is hazardous, I want to fix it really well to the miniature, but I also want the glue/binder to not be visible. I have no real solution to this yet. Maybe I'll have to reach out to SWM to figure out what they use.

6 comments:

  1. Looking awesome man .. I think my favorite part so far is the blanket and canteen/ or is an ammo box .. but looks real.. nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green box is the mess kit. It was green enamel that chipped quite a bit. I am a little fearful of the weathering process.

      Delete
  2. silly putty and fristket are your friends when you go to do that white wash. mask it! Not in the face, not in the face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very nervous about this next round of weathering.

      Delete
  3. The face is looking really great John. I think you should upgrade him to a panzerfaust though :). I'm with Todd, that canteen is awesome!

    ReplyDelete