Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Stug Zug For NOVA Open






A while ago we decided to give Bolt Action a try at 1/72 scale. When we finally have forces painted, this will allow us to play with all of the 1/72 scale models on the market. The scale is also helpful in that individual infantry are still individually based. That satisfies our group need to not abstract a squad into a single base. I had not intended to put these into the painting competition, but I think these came out pretty well.  What I am most excited about, was proving to myself that I could paint at this scale, and produce models that make battles more interesting to watch.

So, with only two days left before the NOVA Open, I'd like to invite all of you to partake in the speed painting competition, and to watch me compete. Please steal techniques if I happen to have any techniques that are new to you. You are also welcome to kibitz during my painting session Thursday at 3:00PM.

16 comments:

  1. Sadly the painting comp is for 28mm and up : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize it since I won with flames of war stuff last year!

      Delete
    2. Funny enough, that means the nova miniatuere is also the wrong scale to compete. I'll bring it anyway so you can have a painted one on site. :)

      Delete
    3. I only see restrictions on the single models. Is there somewhere else where it says 28mm for everything? The nova model is a 20mm, but I suppose it is a diorama?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I might commission you to paint me a tiger, just to have a john piece in my display cabinet!

      Delete
    2. Greg, that is exceedingly kind. How about we paint two tigers. That way you'll know how I do it.

      Delete
  3. I'll miss the beginning, but will be there to watch you work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I hope for some well timed heckling. :)

      Delete
  4. At 1/72 scale these look excellent. If only I could be a fly on a wall at the speed painting competition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These we just awesome John. Always fantastic to see your work in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was amazing work as always John! .. Like I was saying at Nova.. if you put them in a real picture it would be hard to even tell it's not full size!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is high praise. I'm going to have to get you down here for a game.

      Delete