Saturday, May 26, 2012

Custom Cast Canards



Normally when I scratch build, I get so tired of cutting plasticard, that ultimately my models look pretty bad. Rather than acquiesce to that this time around, I decided to look for a new way to make parts. I think I may have found it.

  1. Create your stencils as usual.
  2. Print your stencils out on card stock. This will give them a little heft. Print out enough complete sets that the stacked card stock will be as thick as  your thickest part.
  3. Laminate two sets of your stencils. Fedex had a laminating machine that I was able to use. The laminated stencils provide enough height to make surface details stand out.
  4. Build your model, saving the laminated parts for surface details, or areas where card stock is too fragile.
  5. Use liquid green stuff to fill in the edges where stacks of card stock meet. The finished part can be sanded, but it is easier to fill in the most egregious holes before you cast. 
  6. Mold and cast your part.
  7. Build whatever it is your are building....or two of them.....or maybe just a crashed one to make scenery. 

So my plan was to make a Thunderhawk using this technique, but that will take forever, and I will not be able to show it off. What about customizing a storm raven into a mini t-hawk/storm bird like design.

What do you think? If I stick with custom parts for a unique design, then I will be able to make any number of these things. 

3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool idea -- I've been doing something similar for surface detail bits -- icons, scrolls, etc. This takes it to a new level, actually doing structural parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad idea. I had a heck of a time measuring/cutting extensions for mine, and it'd sure be a timesaver to able to mass-produce parts like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. I think casting them is the way to go for consistency for sure. I've found and adopted a "whatever works" mentality when making master pieces.

    I like the tip about using the laminated pieces on the outside though for durability.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete