Sunday, February 7, 2016

Bolt Action Game Using 1/72 Miniatures





Steve, that guy from Cheat'n Steve's, and I had our first 1/72 scale bolt action game last night. We used a few fun custom rules, which I'll leave to him to explain on his blog. The initial game consisted of two roughly evenly platoons. Despite the German forces being dug in and ready for attack, the American forces annihilated the German defenders. A swift and efficient American advance took control of the bridge.

For the second part of the campaign, each side was giving reinforcements. The loss of the bridge would have allowed Allied forces easy access the marsh. With this loss risking other German fronts, I was given a platoon of Stugs supported by an infantry platoon. I choose to bring the stugs on first since my troops lacked transport. The stugs worked amazingly well. They thrust deep into the American lines, using their machine guns to suppress forward deployed troops, and regain control of the bridge. The counter attack was risky, but some very unlucky shots from the sherman tanks meant that the stugs were able to close down both roads to American vehicles. With losses of two tanks, Steve's posture changed to defensive, and he prepared to fight back the advancing German platoon.

Every part of the game was enjoyable. We used custom rules, we ignored points, and we tried move models in keeping with military doctrine(or john's doctrine which uses medics as scouts). I hope Steve has some photos of his squads advancing to the bridge during the first part of the game. It looked incredibly realistic. I learned a lot from the game.


  • Stugs are great in bocage
  • I need to learn how to maneuver squads in a mutually supporting way
  • I shouldn't fear losing some troops if it means I can redeploy to a better position
  • 1/72 plays wonderful without any modification to Bolt Action


1 comment:

  1. This was probably the best wargame I have ever played. The table was phenomenal, the minis were phenomenal, the lists were right, the scenario was right, and we played it right. Tactics, not rules. Looking forward to more like this. 1/72 is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete