Thursday, November 28, 2013

Terrain











I haven't built terrain in a long time, owing to the fact that I do not game at home. After attending two tournaments, I decided it was time to finally built the table that I've always wanted to play on. These buildings are my practice pieces. One of the things that I do not like about the GW building kits is how they look like sets rather than actual ruined buildings. I've tried with these models to add enough debris and concrete chunks to make them look a bit more realistic. I am not sure if I have succeeded, but I am happy with them. Once the million gallons of glue dries I look forward to painting these guys up. I've been itching to paint the giant copper imperial eagle with weathering powders, but I am going to have to wait a bit longer.

One of the techniques I plan to use heavily later on, is casting floors with embedded wire mesh. You can see the first attempts in the larger building, where the concrete chunks are held together with what looks like wire. This attempt was a bit too think. What makes the mesh so important is that it allows the plaster to be chipped, cracked, and have holes added while holding together. It acts and looks like rebar.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Easy rubble: Second hand metal meat grinder + old sprues = rubble. You can literally crank out as much as you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more reason to own a meat grinder! I was trying to crumble the ruble as I went after I realized I had not made enough. I wish the glue would dry so I could get to painting.

      Delete