Monday, November 11, 2013

Sons of Horus Cataphractii Finished Almost Possibly Maybe





I am starting to be happy with how these guys are turning out. Here they are out with a stroll in front of what was supposed to be a crashed thunderhawk.

Lessons Learned:

1. I added oil washes too early. Once I had done that I could not get any other paint to stick. Then I added transfers. It turns out oil and water do not mix so well. I got the worst silvering I've ever seen on a model before duplicated 5 times! Now the question is if I just battle damage them up and hide the poor decal work, of if I repaint and reapply.

2. Purple and Green look awesome together, but I can't figure out an army list that works.

3. Mint green is the new black.


So what is up next? I don't know. I was thinking of painting a SoH predator, or possibly finishing the two HQ choices. On the other hand, I just finished making 10 more bases, so maybe it is time to add a legion support squad. I really like the idea of a squad with rotor cannons gunning down world eaters and death guard. (I know DG were not present at Istavaan III, but there were companies scattered everywhere during the heresy)


4 comments:

  1. You might want to re-read your history my friend, Death Guard were most certainly present on Isstvan III.

    Looking good John. On the subject of the transfers? I say scrape off and repaint. You know that if you don't it'll always be niggling at you.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. point noted! I suppose I will have to wait to put some dead DG on my bases until you post something with a unit or chapter marking.

      I think you are right about scraping off the transfers. I just wanted these guys to be done so badly. It took me three tries to paint the power sword, which required me to scrape and paint strip it. I guess it is good that my painting techniques are in flux again. It keeps it interesting.

      Delete
  2. Loving that seafoam green you're doing, looks spectacular!

    I hear ya on the woes of waterslide transfers, always a dicey proposition. Hate to say it but the scrape and re-apply is probably the safest bet overall...

    Keep up the great work, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how these are turning out. They look more rugged than your EC but that I think is only proper. That being said I agree with the others, if you are not happy, repaint or buy new ones to take their place.

    ReplyDelete