Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Crushed Glass Snow Effect on Winter War Germans





To give these guys a proper winter war effect, I grabbed some SWM crushed glass, which was last used years ago on a NOVA Open charity model. I mixed it with water effects, and tried to dab it onto the bases as realistically as I could. One thing the snow does, is make it hard to see the miniature on top. I'm wondering if maybe I need to add more snow and just cover up all the leaves and rocks I added during the first basing step. These guys looks like a total mess from three feet, but rather nice up close. That is an effect I am not too keen on. It is one of the reasons I rarely paint camouflage. When camo works, it ruins the model.

So, where are we with the army? I have one more squad to add snow to, and I then I need to decide what to do with the remaining vehicles. I love how they look pre white washing, so it is hard to jump in and cover all that careful work up with sloppy white.

Does anyone else field winter armies?

6 comments:

  1. Well, I like them a lot.
    True - covering up carefully painted models can be painful.
    But if it works out, it adds so much more to the models.
    "Kill your darlings", they say ;)

    I'll send you some pictures of my winter-themed inspired Orks.
    You did inspire me to start working on them again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That snow effect looks amazing, the best I’ve seen. Can you talk through the method? Is it bound with PVA at all or is the water effects enough of a bind? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are excellent - very believable. And no, whilst I have contemplated it for a brief moment, I've never thought it would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mixed crushed glass with water effects and used a little metal sculpting tool to scoop it onto the base. Then it is just a matter of smushing it around on the base until it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they look fine from a distance, personally. But it is all up to you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are going to stay this way. I think I need get something else painted as a palette cleanser.

      Delete