I attended Cold Wars up in Pennsylvania this weekend. I came in 2nd place in painting behind Steve's extra cool Australian desert rat force. Kudos to Steve for setting the bar higher. I decided to put a display board together the day before I had to drive up to Pennsylvania. Our gaming group's Tobruk table has been under design for a while, so I thought it would be a good time to test out some of the techniques. I am really happy with how this came out. It was my first time attempting water, so it was a big leap.
Stuff that worked:
- Magic merlin as a sealant all over the board
- small slate, large slate, and sand along the sides of the road
- first pour of the water effects.
- Tallarn desert paint with Secret Weapon Burning sands weathering powder.
Stuff that failed:
- foam at the waters edge (Vallejo Foam, you are out!)