- Base coat all of the tiles with Rust-oleum matte iced gray. Cheap easy, but hellish overspray from the bottles. I work inside my office and had to do a quick emergency mopping to get the overspray off my hardwood floors!
- Spray Tamiya TS-4 German Grey directly from the can onto the asphalt sections using a piece of foam board as an edge to spray against.
- Grab and airbrush and spray tamiya flat black into each of the bomb craters.
- Color modulate the concrete. Using three old CCG cards, I made a square edge with a handle that I could use to produce hard edged for each concert chunk. This took the longest time, but I think makes the terrain more interesting. Think of this as color modulation but on a huge scale.
- Using a darker version of the tamiya grey which shaded the concrete, shade the cracks and crevices on the asphalt.
- Paint all of the metal black using a mask. This automated the process.
- Drybrush boltgun metal (yep still go some!) on all of the metal parts. Quick and easy don't really worry about how messy this is.
- Take a dark old rust weathering powder (one of the ones that comes in the SWM box of powers) and liberally wash all of the metal bits. This produces a nice rusty look over the black and blowgun metal base.
- Mix a huge pot of brownish weathering powders with Tamiya x-20a thinner and wash the surface of every tile.
- Make two masks out of tape that can be reused to paint the side walks and lane separators.
- Oil washes in all of the gutters to give the sides of the street that filled with gunk feeling. I might skip this given how many tiles there are.
- Weathering powder wash of grey or light grey weathering powder. I think this will bring out the cracks in the streets more and even out the color over all.
- Paint a load of buildings. I think I am going to stick with a lighter color for the building so they match the concrete. One of the benefits of the light sections is that they help models stand out more.
Since a lot of other people have SWM boards, here is quick run down of the tools I made/used.
The first is an edge template made from three collectible cards. Any card with a glossy surface that won't easily absorb paint will do. I went through three of these painting the table. The idea is to spray darker color along 1/2 of each square on the tiles. I don't recall how long it took to paint the gradients, but it was the majority of the overall painting time. I saved the solid tiles for last, since they would take the longest. I think it took about an hour to do all of them. The process is tedious, though I really like the result. Normally I would use tape to mask the edges, but with so many tiles it was not worth the effort to the waste of tape!
The last things I made were templates for the side walks and lane dividers. This is just tape that I layered up until I could use it repeatedly. This allowed me to paint all of the street details in about half an hour or so.