Sunday, July 20, 2014

Repainting A Dave Taylor Masterpiece







Several years ago I visited the GW Battle Bunker in Glen Burnie Maryland, where  I discovered that Dave Taylor had an incredible Ultramarines force on display. Until then I had not liked Ultramarines, and had gone so far as to be proud of the fact that I had never painted a 'blue' marine.  A little context, if you were painting back in those days, you might remember how much nerd-rage the Ultramarines took.  Dave's force changed my opinion. His was one of the first beautifully painted forces I had seen. His army was awe inspiring, and my Ultramarines force was started specifically because of his

Rather than duplicate Dave's force, I decided to focus on weathering the models. Almost by accident I picked up a military modeling magazine and saw what the historical guys were doing with air brushes.

So fast forward a few years (and two Blood Angles, One Dark Angels, and one Tau army) later, and my Ultramarines force began hitting its stride. I had been working on the Ultras start and stop fashion in between other army projects, and by 2013 they were ready for the Nova Open Narrative event. The army went on to win two painting competitions, and inspired the Nova Open Charitable Foundation to pick an Ultramarines force for one of the next charity army projects.

I've had the privilege of working with Dave Taylor on a variety of charity projects, all the way back to the Storm Wardens. This time he did the unthinkable. He asked me to provide my painting recipes to the UM group. We have come full circle. Like all painters I remember earlier work with rose colored goggles. Context is everything. Dave had the idea to update the quintessential piece from his ultramarines force, blending both of our current styles.

In our division of labor my task is color modulation, grime streaking, and dust. The goal is to update the model to the blue recipe used in the NOVACF force, and then hand the model off to Dave to work his detail magic.

I can't wait to see how this tank turns out! So get out there and donate some money for charity. You might win this army or one of the other expertly painted ones!

8 comments:

  1. Crazy. I remember seeing Dave's army in the bunker as well and was completely blown away by it. It was so awesome. it's neat to see you re-doing the Landraider...its a classic piece. I remember he had one that had hurricane plasmaguns on its sponsons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap it is! Guess that is how professional the conversion is, you don't even notice that its a conversion!

      Delete
  2. I just love how he did the blue transitions on this land raider. It gives it a holy feel, as if the actual light striking the land raider is diffusing around it's blessed hull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly a lot of the blue is over spray from the airbrush! I like your description of it quite a bit.

      Delete
  3. The work coming out of the community on this one is amazing. What is the blue recipe you guys are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://40khobbyblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/tutorial-ultramarines-with-color.html

      Delete