Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Oil Dot Color Modulation









I've wanted to dive deep into other painting styles for a while, so I decided to experiment with oil dot color modulation. Both of these tanks were painted to test the technique. The Ferdinand, green camouflage, was painted first copying another painter's style. The Tiger tank was painted more in line with how I normally paint, and then received oil dots on top of it. In person the Ferdinand looks more realistic, but the Tiger makes a better 2' impression. These images are much larger than the actual models, but that was needed so I could share the surface texture change.

The basics of the technique are to paint the model, then add several other oil colors in a polkadot pattern all over the surface of the tank. The oil dots are then blended into the surface using a soft brush, slightly changing the color of the surface. This is basically a distributed multi-color filter that can be wiped off.

I think this was an interesting experiment, and rather than grab more models from my 1/72 scale tank bin to experiment further, I think I should jump right in to trying it out on a large 28mm 40k model of some type.


1 comment: