Monday, January 22, 2018

Space Marine Centurions WIP





This kit has languished on my shelf for maybe 4 years. I realize this is kind of embarrassing, but at last it has made its way to the hobby table. When these came out I hated the design, which is why they sat dejected on the shelf for so long. However, after building them, I've really warmed up to it. I think the under-armor eco-skeleton details are really cool. It is a shame I covered most of that up with the heavy front plating.

One of the things that became clear when building these, is that GW plastics have gone through a revolution in quality several times since these came out. I don't think this moulds would pass muster today at GW. There are loads of soft features on these models, that make them less fun to paint than the newest crisp-edged plastics. They are still cool though, and look right at home next to the giant Primaris.

So what is next? Gold. I have to paint the gold on the models, the purity seals, and then add glow for the grav-cannon. After that I might pause and consider basing a bunch of this stuff. It might be time to get these guys playable.

7 comments:

  1. The squad is coming along very well! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the massive irony is all that time on the shelf whilst they were amazing, and now they've been nerfed significantly they're getting painted! ;)

    Beautiful work though, it's going to be a stunning looking army on the tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea grav was out. I decided that I just wanted to paint a legal force using all of the cool bits. I was going to magnetize them initially, but since I rarely play it seemed more reasonable to just get them painted up. I'll take an army shot once I have the last primaris painted up and it all based. It already looks really good on the shelf.

      Delete
  3. Dark and moody looking, Nick is right, at least you don’t have three Grav Cannon Centurions that will probably never see the light of a battle now Lascannon is King of 8th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody every accused me of building good lists! Once I knew I could take each option I just went for it. I would hav gone with all three nipple gun options as well, but several attempts at drilling barrels failed so I gave up and went with missiles.

      Delete
  4. I am the same, I wasn't a fan at first but compared to Primaris I am a fan. Lovely work so far on the paint.

    ReplyDelete