Friday, May 12, 2017

Ogre Goblin Bust WIP 2





This is my first time using transparent paints, and despite some initial success, I managed to un-green the goblin. The original green was a couple of layers of badger ghost tint green. After putting those layers down, I used badger thinner to clean my airbrush. I then added a blue tint using GW air. The badger thinner melted the green layer down, which then ran into the crevices. So lesson learned. I guess I should figure out what to do next. Do I start the goblin over? Do I discreetly push the model into some less visible part of my desk and ignore it? The more I look at the sculpt the less I like how chunky the giant is. Maybe I should just gore and mud platter this and call it done.

8 comments:

  1. Nah you can tint in all kinds of colors in him now that is a nice base to tint on! Come on you can do this! Purples and reds and dark greens or veins or mottling. use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...maybe. The base is very mottled as it is.

      Delete
  2. I think if you just up the contrast and bring back a bit of saturation it will work very well. It's like a blank canvas now, you could make him green again, blue, purple or even brown and use the "mess" as under painting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it all depends on why you paint it. If it is a learning experience, learn and move on. If it is a show piece that you want to show of, it can be salvaged and in worse case striped and restarted. It is never nice to leave a model you are not satisfied with, but sometimes you just need to cut your losses. The risk is that the more you try to fix it the more layers you will put down and you will eventually lose detail etc... and then even if the colors turn out as you want it you will want to strip it just to clear all the layers. It is a hard call, but it is still skillfully blended and the technique is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. I stripped my steampunk princess bust and it came out great the second time. Try to salvage it first. Stripping is the ultimate reset :P

      Delete
  4. These are really cool, but yeah a little desaturated. Not a bad thing if that's what you want. The goblin face is really neat becaause it's not green. But kind of pinkish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideas for adding color.
      Yellow giant teeth.
      Purple around the giants eyes.
      Red and orange tones on metal parts.
      Pink noses.
      Red eyes.

      Delete
  5. I did have that split second where I read "badger ghost tint green" and thought 'wtf ?!?!' before I got it.

    ReplyDelete