Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bolt Action Stug










A bunch of us have been bitten by the Bolt Action bug, so a collective speed painting has ensured. Presented here is a resin Stug from Warlord Games. This model will eventually take part in the Normandy campaign, being setup. While fun to paint, this kit was unreasonably malformed. I enjoyed painting the model immensely, but this is going to be a gaming model, not a display model for me. The DAK models on order might end up being the gaming and display models.

WW2 models (basically anything non-gw) have become my modeling tests of choice.

At the NOVA Open I managed to win a full set of secret weapon miniatures weathering powders. I had already been using quite a few of them, but since I had the whole set I decided to give the track tutorial Justin posted on the SWM miniatures a try. The only thing I added was some more rust pigment on the spare tracks on the hull. You'd think that having every weathering powder would be the most exciting thing, but weirdly, I was more excited to try the bottle of pigment fixer included.  I 'd been using x-20A thinner as my pigment fixer, and had been wondering if actual pigment fixer would work any better. Well, it works, but due to me not understanding the bottle cap (you just have to see it--it is not a dropper!) I managed to poor out the entire contents of the bottle onto the vehicle, and my desk. I like how it worked, and will have to pick up another bottle.

So how does all of this Historical work play into 40k? I am thinking about painting my DKoK next, but with a historical bent.


13 comments:

  1. The speed and quality with which you crank these models out is almost Germanic in it efficiency...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks zab. I've really been taken by bolt action and have my first intro game next Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! If you are anything like me you will at least look great dying a lot. I suspect you are good at both gaming and painting :)

      Delete
    2. nope, just he painting bit! Bolt Action makes more sense to me than 40k, so it should be easier to play.

      Delete
  3. Looks great John, we have also gone the way of Bolt Action, I wasn't too impressed with the resin offerings poor castings and scale issues, we use 1/48 plastic models for our armor, and they are wonderful, pick up a Tamiya kit and never look back. Great to see you playing Bolt Action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice John. I am pretty excited by the 1/48 scale tamiya models. The Bolt Action ones just look too small.

      Delete
    2. After further eBay research..holy cow there are a lot of 1/48 scale offerings!

      Delete
  4. Never stop being so fucking awesome, John. I clicked this link and it was like BLAMMO! Shit just got real, assholes.

    joking aside, great work. You're really getting me thinking about bolt action...I love the game mechanics and the models are decent. The infantry seem a little weak on the detail, but at least they're affordable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to oblige! My steps into historic modeling/wargaming have been a bit timid until just recently.

      The infantry from warlord games were basically free. 14 bucks for 30 models makes the game affordable. Two boxes and you'll have all you ever need. It is really weird to be painting in order to play a game. The infantry I painted were done just so we could have painted miniatures for our game. It is a pretty big shift for me

      I like SC John's suggestion to use 1/48 scale kits instead. I wish I had thought of that before my tank splurge. The Bolt Action tanks look a little small next to the troops. A couple of us are kicking around the idea to move to 1/72 scale. The smaller scale would make battlefields larger. Plus there are loads of model kits available.

      Delete
  5. Nice work John the color variance in the armor plates looks very cool. I understand completely with the fixer cap.. when I opened it was like what is this? pushed on it and then it popped off haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely work John. The stug is one of my fav tanks to boot. (But the tiger I is still the bestest).

    Don't you get me into bolt action...todd already got me into malifaux...and I just got word my robotech models shipped...I just reorganized and have orks to paint! Don't you guys want to face my orks??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have a tiger in a DaK force you know. You'd get to paint up a bunch of palm trees as well.

      Robotech....oh how I bought way too many sets way back when.....

      Delete
    2. Great John...now a tiger I is in my cart. I hope you and Todd are happy! :)

      Delete