Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Great Blood Angels Salvage Pt2




It seems repainting or touching up an army is a relatively rare occurrence for most people. I know I've stripped models to add to new armies, but even for me this feels weird. I am immensely enjoying the process, however, since there are no expectations. I am not even bothering to carefully remove mold lines. Normally I would spend a lot of time prepping my models. That is the right way. But since these guys are already painted, and are getting new highlighting sprayed over their existing base coats, the focus is on getting them consistently paint chipped and streaked so I can move on to the mud/dust phase. I really like how that mud base turned out, and there is a good chance I will go with chocolate brown wet mud, with dried mud higher up on the vehicle chassis. I have to decide if I save that base type for my DKoK and leave the BA on desert bases. Desert bases would at least match my gaming table.

Yes... I hate the top hatch on the rhino. Maybe it is time to add stowage and gear up there. That would limit the glowing edges.

another thing of note, I have a batch of vallejo matte varnish that is blueing my models when it drys. Maybe vallejo always does this and I've just not noticed due to the colors I usually use.

EDIT
Greg asked for some before photos to go with these WIP repaint shots. It is kind of cool to point out, that I am not paint stripping these models. I am airbrushing directly over the original paint job. I thank Dave Taylor for the idea. We just did not have have enough time to paint strip the model, in time for the charity army raffle for the NOCF. Prior to his model, I can't remember ever repainting a model intended for use.

I've added a photo of my old Blood Angels force, painting in 2011. I've come a long way painting-wise. (tracks, chipping, streaking, and mud/weathering have not been completed) I am only mid-way through repainting the LR above. So far the Storm Raven has shown the most dramatic change.


18 comments:

  1. I think the one nice thing about you doing this John...is the freedom you get by having no expectations. This is an excellent opportunity, to go hog wild, and try out every new technique you have been keeping in that back pocket!

    I originally was going to sell and repurchase ork models, but this is inspiring me to at least try out some of the new techniques on the old models first, so I can be ready when it's time to hit the home run :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! What is that cool looking dread on the right!???

      Delete
    2. That is an original dreadnought. This is the Chuck version.

      Delete
    3. Awesome! I don't think I've ever seen one of those!

      I'm about to pick up some SWM weathering powders. Do you use their fixer, or your own? What do you think about their washes? (are the washes just the powders premixed?)

      Delete
    4. I love the concrete wash. I use it on almost all of my...concrete bases. :)

      Delete
    5. *Pokes head around*. I bet at this point, John has painted 7 armies.

      Delete
  2. I had similar results with vallejo matte varnish on my blood angels as well. I can't say I've tried it on anything else though as I pretty much haven't touched it since I discovered the blueing effect. Please share what varnish you decide to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a clue what to use now. Vallejo was my goto varnish. It sounds like you are still looking as well Wes. Any one else with ideas (preferably not spray cans)

      Delete
    2. Scale 75 or Andrea maybe. Badger may have some acrylic ones too in their new line. Otherwise a bottle of liquitex or golden will go a loooooooooooong way. As always test on scrap minis ;)

      Delete
    3. Testors Dull Coat everytime. Its expensive, but it works real well.

      Delete
    4. Testors changed their formula for their Dullcoat, that's what got me into this mess. I have testors model masters flat lacquer spray, badgers minitaire and one more which I forget the name of, at home to test out. I unfortunately need to spray up a few test models first.

      Delete
    5. I would recommend trying Badger's Minitaire Matte. It is airbrush ready and very nice to use.

      Delete
  3. Looking good John! .. I'll be doing the same with my Wave Serpents soon. I started on a mostly finished Falcon to test it out and nail down the looks.. I'll pick up old single mini's all the time.. It's nice to breathe new life into some old models 8)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea, John. I am inspired to do the same with my Steel Legion.

    Are you repainting the infantry as well, or just the vehicles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am undecided on the troops. I think I can update them quickly by adding one more highlight, one more shadow, and new basing. It all depends on the bases. (And getting a pound of swm weathering powder for he mud!)

      Delete
    2. earthpigments.com You can get just about any color and they come in huge pots. I'll never need to buy pigments again as long as I live - unless I start eating them by the spoonful or something :P

      Delete
    3. I'd like to upgrade the look of my Steel Legion troops because most are a study in elementary drybrushing. But that may be more work than I want for an army that does not look horrible on the tabletop. This might be a good opportunity to upgrade the vehicles and paint a new DKoK army. We'll see.

      Delete